It goes without saying that Barnes and Noble isn’t a library, but that still got us wondering if you can rent book there.
We looked into it and this is what we found…
Does Barnes & Noble Rent Books?
Barnes & Noble has a textbook rental programme. The only books included in this programme are set college and university textbooks, which represent some of the most expensive books on the market.
This article takes a look at the Barnes & Noble textbook rental service: what it is, how it works, and why students are taking advantage of it.
What Kind Of Books Does Barnes & Noble Rent?
The B&N book rental programme began in 2010. It includes textbooks necessary for formal study and which are reusable. This means that workbooks, study guides, laboratory manuals, periodicals, and other consumable materials are not rented.
The programme is facilitated through college and university bookshops and is most popular for the type of textbooks which are needed for a relatively short time. Students can search for material using their course link and then choose a format – print book or eBook, used or new, and finally, purchase or rent.
You can also complete the same purchase in your actual college bookstore. Barnes & Noble advise that the return of rented textbooks is not conducted at their physical stores.
Is It Cheaper To Rent Textbooks Or Buy Them?
Critics of the programme believe that considerable savings (up to 50% or more of the cost of purchasing books outright) can be made through renting textbooks. They also say that it’s generally a quicker and more convenient way to get your college material organized.
Popular feature of the programme include:
- You can return your books in the post using B&N supplied free return shipping
- You can return the books at your college bookstore
- There are thousands of books to choose from
- You can choose a rental period (60 up to 130 days), which you can extend at any time
- You can purchase the book at any time during the rental period (minus the rent you’ve already paid)
Important things to remember about the programme are:
- There is a fee for each time period extension
- If you return the book late, you’ll automatically be charged a 15 day extension fee
- If you don’t return the book at all, you’ll have to pay the full list price of the book (minus the rental and extension fees you’ve already paid).
- If you damage the book, you’ll have to pay the full list price of the book (minus the rental and extension fees you’ve already paid).
How Do You Return Barnes & Noble Textbook Rentals?
Returning your textbooks is quite simple – the important thing is to remember to do it on time to avoid a late fee.
- When you rent the book, make a note of the return date
- If returning by mail, make sure to post your book back by the rental period expiration date. If you need it longer, you can also purchase it or extend your rental. If ordered through the post, you should have received returned shipping labels with the book.
- If you are managing your rentals through an account, you can log in to your “My Account/Rental Management” page and click on “Manage Textbook Rentals”. Here you can print your free UPS return shipping label and packing slip. Always record the tracking number provided on the shipping label.
- Remember that Barnes & Noble stores do not accept textbook rental returns
Are There Any Conditions To Renting Barnes & Noble Textbooks?
Barnes & Noble have published and clear and detailed list of Textbook Rentals Terms and Conditions. It’s worth scrolling through these before you make use of the programme.
Here are some of the most important points:
- You must be 18 years old or more to use the service
- You’ll be charged for the books as soon as your order is filled
- You must have some form of payment (Visa, Mastercard etc) on file
- Rental materials can include both new and used materials, and the rental fee is the same
- If you receive damaged rental items, you must contact B&N within 21 days and report the problem. It’s best if you do this as soon as you receive the books or you will become liable for the damage.
- Always keep rental returns and purchase returns separately packaged
- You can return your books (for no reason) for a full refund. You will be charged an early return fee, however, of $5 per item.
- B&N are not responsible for reminding you of items due
- Textbook rentals are only available in the United States
The Barnes & Noble book rental service is only for textbooks and is conducted through college and university campus bookstores.
Money saved on renting rather than purchasing is considerable – and it’s possible to change your mind and purchase the book during your rental period.
You’ll have to accept Barnes & Noble’s terms and conditions in order to use the programme.