It is hard to imagine a world without Burger King–the one place you can go to satisfy cravings for something fast, meaty, and salty. Big Mac or Whopper is among lunchtime’s oldest debates, and even if you are a Whooper fan, there is a whole ton of things you do not know about this American favorite.
For instance, did you know that it started as Insta-Burger King? Also, are you aware of all the food options it offers and whether you can grab onion rings here? Keep reading to find out more.
Does Burger King Have Onion Rings?
Yes, Burger King has the yummiest onion rings. So if you ever want onion rings, this is your go-to place. While most renowned burger joints such as Shake Shack and McDonald’s skip the onion rings, Burger King has provided this delicacy since time immemorial. Accompanied with BK’s zesty sauces, the onion rings are slowly but steadily becoming fast food essential side dishes.
But with popularity comes a lot of controversies. Burger King’s onion rings are subject to debates by onion ring lovers, though a consensus has been hard to reach.
Either the zesty sauce is the main attraction, or the King has unveiled a secret to a mouth-watering fried onion.
Either way, Burger King has over the years established its identity as the leading supplier of onion rings among huge fast food stores, and their rings are known globally.
When Does Burger King Serve Onion Rings?
When it comes to offering this savory side, Burger King has no limitations. You can get onion rings any day and any time at all Burger King restaurants nationwide.
How Many Onion Rings Come in Burger King Onion Ring?
While BK’s onion rings actually taste like onion, the treats do not constitute whole onion slices.
For this reason, it is hard to tell the number of onions rings contained in a burger king onion ring.
It seems contrary to everything the delicacy stands for, but Burger King has been able to get away with using a powdered onion flavor in place of the real thing.
What Is In Burger King Onion Ring Sauce?
If you’ve had a chance to taste the Burger King zesty dipping sauce, you’ll notice that it is a combination of flavors with spicy and sweet accents. The sauce contains mayonnaise, horseradish, paprika, lemon, and some may have mustard. It also includes a tiny bit of umami.
How Do You Make Burger King’s Onion Rings?
If you want to learn how to prepare BK-inspired onion rings, you will need the following ingredients:
- A large onion sliced into ¼” rings
- A cup of multipurpose flour
- One tablespoon of baking powder
- One tablespoon of kosher salt
- A large egg
- A cup of milk
- One cup of breadcrumbs
- Canola oil
- Seasoned salt
Once you’ve gathered all these, it is time to get those rings popping by following these instructions:
- Establish a Breading Station: Begin by getting a separate bowl for your flour, bread crumbs, milk, and egg. Next, whisk each bowl of ingredients for them to combine.
- Prep a Holding Area: Put paper towels on a sheet tray, placing the wire rack on top. Because you will require a place for your battered rings before frying, this will be the perfect space.
- Heat the Oil: Use a candy thermometer to monitor the oil temperature as you heat it slowly. You could use an induction burner, stovetop, or deep fryer. The key is to keep the oil at 365°F. As you continue cooking, the oil temperature may dip, so you might want to wait for it to come back up.
- Coat the Onion Rings: Most recipes recommend you dip the rings in a flour mixture, then the wet batter and the bread crumbs.
- Cook the Onion Rings: The final step is cooking your rings. Put the coated rings into the hot oil and cook for about 3 minutes. You can serve them once they are cool enough to handle.
Are Burger King Onion Rings Vegan?
Unfortunately, BK onion rings aren’t vegan. This is because the breading has whey: a milk protein. Also, the onion rings are deep-fried in modified palm oil, which has seen the destruction of many animal habitats.
Besides, the fact that Burger King also cooks chicken and hamburgers increases the risk of cross-contamination for food material. As an alternative, Burger King offers the impossible burger, which it considers a vegan option.
Does Burger King Offer Vegan-Friendly Options?
While the onion rings at BK aren’t vegan, the venture offers alternative items that may be friendlier to the vegan palette. They include but are not limited to:
- The Impossible Burger: BK’s Impossible Burger is made from a plant-based compound and prepared on a separate grill far away from meat sources.
- Garden Salad: This is a pretty simple salad with tomato, lettuce, and vegan-friendly lite honey balsamic dressings.
- Apple Sauce: BK’s Mott’s apple sauce is 100 percent natural and contains no sugar. Also, it is gluten-free and equals one fruit serving.
- Most of Their Drinks: If you ditch the smoothies and embrace fountain drinks such as Sprite, Dr. Pepper, or Sprite, you will likely enjoy BK’s beverages.
Burger King is your one-stop restaurant for all your onion ring cravings. Here, you can get this delicacy any time of the day. The rings contain mayonnaise, paprika, lemon, and mustard, among other accents.
What’s more? You can prepare your own BK onion rings in the comfort of your home and enjoy them too. You just have to ensure you have all the ingredients and follow the instructions.