DoorDash is a convenient way to grab a meal, but what if you are looking to get alcohol delivered as well?
Can you get beer, wine, and liquors delivered with DoorDash? We looked into it and this is what we found….
Does DoorDash Deliver Alcohol?
Yes, DoorDash delivers alcohol. DoorDash has now added alcohol delivery to its courier services and customers can order a variety of alcoholic beverages to be delivered right to their door.
This article looks at the DoorDash alcohol delivery service: how it works, how to use it, what the restrictions are and how to manage it correctly if you are the courier.
How Do You Order Alcohol From DoorDash?
Ordering alcoholic drinks from DoorDash is the same as ordering anything else from them. It’s done via the delivery app, and provided you live in an unrestricted area, you simply select and pay online.
- Open the app and use the alcohol tab to order from restaurants, grocery stores, retail or any retail outlets that you’d normally use that are partnered with DoorDash.
- If this is the first time you have ordered alcohol through the app, you’ll have to verify your age before completing the checkout. However, you only have to do this once.
- Upload a picture of your ID so that your birthdate is clearly showing.
- Your ID will be checked again when the courier arrives at your door with your order.
Does DoorDash Have Any Restrictions On Their Alcohol Delivery?
The restrictions DoorDash have placed on alcohol deliveries follow the normal legal requirements of safe alcohol consumption.
- DoorDash will not deliver alcohol to anyone under the age of 18
- DoorDash couriers will not hand over an alcohol delivery if the online order ID verification is unable to be checked upon delivery.
- DoorDash alcohol deliveries cannot be left unattended.
- Alcohol deliveries cannot be left with people who are already intoxicated.
- To order alcohol, you must live in a supported area. In The United States, this includes 20 states.
- DoorDash cannot deliver alcohol to dry zones.
Which States Allow DoorDash To Deliver Alcohol?
It is possible to order alcohol from Doordash in the following states:
California, New York, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, Texas, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Virginia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Michigan, Iowa, Oregon, Missouri and Nebraska
DoorDash has now extended to regions in Canada and Australia.
What Kind Of Alcohol Will DoorDash Deliver?
DoorDash’s partnerships with businesses such as restaurants, liquor retailers, breweries, allow them to offer alcoholic drinks through their app.
These include beers, wines, spirits, in fact, just about anything you’d purchase at the store.
What you can’t order are premade or pre poured drinks such as cocktails or shots.
Where Do DoorDash Alcohol Deliveries Come From?
The wine, beer, and spirits that you can order come from any businesses that choose to partner up with DoorDash.
Businesses that want to sign up with DoorDash just need to wait for DoorDash staff to verify the business alcohol permits. Then they’ll help set them up as delivery partner.
There are various advantages to the partnership, and there are plenty of online resources for you if you’re a merchant and want to investigate your options.
What Kind Of Delivery Guidelines Do DoorDash Couriers Have To Follow On Alcohol Orders?
DoorDash couriers must follow strict guidelines when making alcohol deliveries, and these are set out on the DoorDash website. Delivery alcohol in an “unlawful way” can result in serious consequences.
First of all, a courier will always know (via the app) that an order they receive contains alcohol. However, the company recommend that couriers check with merchants on the contents of the order anyway.
Couriers must also:
- Know the legal drinking ages: Australia (18), Canada (19), USA (21)
- Check the age and ID of the order recipient
- Be familiar with the correct forms of ID, the location of the birthdate and ID expiration date, and signs that an ID may be fake
- Hand alcohol directly to the customer (never leave an alcohol delivery unattended)
- Be familiar with the signs of intoxication
- Never deliver alcohol to customers who are clearly intoxicated
- Never deliver to customers who you believe may be supplying alcohol to minors.
- Some customers may live in “dry zones”, and while they can receive food orders, they cannot be supplied with alcohol. Couriers must be aware of these zones.
For DoorDasher support, go here.
What Kind Of ID Do I Need To Show When I Make An Order With DoorDash That Contains Alcohol?
Acceptable forms of identification include driver’s licenses and passports. All forms of ID must be genuine and original – no photos of IDs can be used.
Driver’s licenses and learner’s permits are acceptable in Australia, as are proof of age cards and Australian or foreign passports.
Your ID must not be a copy and must show a clear picture, date of birth, and ID expiry date. All of these will be checked by the courier driver.
If you as DoorDash courier are left with an undeliverable order, contact company support immediately. Provided you have followed company procedures, DoorDash claim that your rating will never be affected and you will always receive full payment for the deliveries.
Is DoorDash The Only Courier That Delivers Alcohol?
Other popular delivery services in the United States include:
- Drizly, who operate across 26 states, and who are now owned by Uber. Drizly deliver beer, wine, and liquors, and extras, such as ice, mixers, snacks, and decorations.
- Wine.com, who deliver wine and liquor, and extras such as food and glassware.
- Craftshack, who are pretty much nationwide, and who deliver a huge selection of beers, ciders and liquor, but no extras.
- Winc, who deliver just wine and no extras but who have an excellent selection of wines.
- GrubHub, who deliver food and alcohol, and who are owned by Dutch company Just Eat Takeaway. GrubHub and DoorDash are often mistaken as the one company but are actually completely separate.
Ordering meals and snacks from DoorDash just got better because you can now add alcoholic drinks to your order. By following the app instructions, you can select and pay for your drinks in the same way as you order food, and providing you live in the right place and can verify your age, everything should arrive straight to your door.