With over 8000 locations across 46 states in the US, Family Dollar needs reliable employees to ensure the smooth running of its stores and distribution centers.
If you are looking to apply for a position at Family Dollar in logistics, retail, or management, you might want to know about its various policies. As you apply, it is essential to know if Family Dollar carries out drug tests on its employees. This way, you will be aware of what to expect.
Does Family Dollar Drug Test?
Yes, Family Dollar drug tests its employees across all its stores. Also, as of 2022, new employers must undergo a background check and drug test before being hired. While the company may perform these tests on employees working in its stores, it doesn’t do the same to those in its distribution centers.
At times, the drug tests could be random because of reasonable suspicion or accidents at work.
Do you want to learn more about the Family Dollar drug policy and the drugs the company tests for? Keep reading.
What Is The Family Dollar Drug Policy?
Family Dollar’s Code of Business Conduct contains an outline of the company’s drug policy. The code states Family Dollar’s commitment to providing healthy, safe, and drug-free working conditions for all its associates.
In compliance with this policy, all employees should undergo and pass a drug test before hiring. So, one condition of employment at the company is passing the initial screening and random drug tests.
It’d also help to know that Family Dollar performs these tests on all its employees. However, there could be variations in the frequency, timing, and type of test used.
Having said that, Family Dollar drug testing policies in individual stores are dependent on individual managers and state laws.
Moreover, the company has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol and drug use at work, and employees that fail drug tests risk termination.
What Drugs Does Family Dollar Test For?
The company typically uses the standard five-panel urine drug test. The test looks for phencyclidine, cocaine, amphetamines, and opiates.
Besides, Family Dollar may, from time to time, test for marijuana–a drug that is frowned upon in this environment.
Does Family Dollar Do Random Drug Testing?
Yes, Family Dollar performs random drug testing in its stores. However, this doesn’t happen in its widespread distribution centers unless there have been accidents at work. Also, if there is reasonable suspicion of drug use at any of its locations, Family Dollar may carry out random drug tests.
Why Does Family Dollar Only Drug Test Some Candidates and Not Others?
The company has a compulsory drug test for employees in its stores but not those in their distribution centers. It doesn’t find it necessary to perform the test on the latter, as they do not directly affect the company’s operations.
However, if the company has reason to believe there is drug use at its distribution centers, it may carry out random drug tests. It could also do this in case accidents happen at these places.
How Do You Apply For A Job At Family Dollar?
You can apply for both corporate and retail careers by filling out and submitting the Family Dollar job application. The good news is that you can complete the whole application online through the company’s website.
Follow these steps to apply for a Family Dollar job online:
- Visit the company website and navigate to the careers page
- Choose between store or management opportunities
- Fill in the search criteria before pressing the “Search for Jobs” button and wait for the results to load
- Click on the “Apply” link below the job you wish to apply for. If you are applying for more than one job, press the “Add to job cart” link.
- Register a new account by pressing the “New User” button
- Enter your email address, generate a password and click on “Register” to create your account
- Create a security question and answer
- Agree to the privacy agreement
- Answer these qualification questions:
- Are you permitted by law to work in the US?
- Are you aged 18 and above?
- Do you consent to drug and alcohol testing?
- Resume upload
- Fill in your personal information
What Is Family Dollar’s Application Process Like?
After submitting your application and receiving a confirmation email, the hiring process starts. It usually takes a few days but could vary depending on the number of applications received. Each application process depends on the position applied for. Generally, Family Dollar interviews all candidates and picks the most suitable.
What Sort Of Background Checks Does Family Dollar Do?
To handpick its employees out of thousands of applicants, Family Dollar runs background checks on job applicants. The result of this check could determine whether they could hire the employee to work at their stores.
Here is some of the information that could come out of a background check:
- Your Criminal Record: If you are an ex-convict, you need not worry as Family Dollar does hire felons. However, the nature of your conviction can affect your chances of securing employment at the company. Provided you do not pose a threat to the company, its staff, and customers, Family Dollar will consider you for employment.
- Past Employment Records: A background check will indicate all your places of work in the last seven to ten years. In some scenarios, it may note your activities while at these workplaces. Information gathered from your previous colleagues and employers helps the recruitment officer decide if you will add value to the company.
- Driving Records: If you are looking for a position in delivery or distribution, checking your driving records will help the recruiter know if you could be a potentially high-risk hire.
- Educational Records: They help the recruiter determine if you have the necessary academic qualifications for the position you applied for.
What Can You Do If Family Dollar Rejects Your Job Application?
If your application doesn’t go through, Family Dollar will always invite you to apply again in case any openings arise. You can visit the Family Dollar website to get answers to common career and employment questions.
As a condition of employment, all Family Dollar employees have to undergo a mandatory drug test. New employees must pass both the background check and drug test.
The company also performs random drug tests for all employees in stores and occasionally for those in their distribution centers.
Finally, the company has a zero-tolerance policy for drugs, and failing a drug test could result in termination of employment.
Leave a Reply