GameStop is the world’s largest chain of video game and gaming accessory stores. It’s also a great place to work. But does GameStop hire at 16?
Does GameStop Hire At 16?
No, GameStop does not hire at 16. To be eligible for entry-level work as an hourly gaming counselor at GameStop, you must be at least 18 years old.
The primary reason for this age restriction is because GameStop offers “M”-rated (mature) games, which include mature content. Therefore, it can only be played by those above the age of 17.
Minimum Age to Work at GameStop
As of January 2021, this company has opened around 4,816 shops in the United States, 253 stores in Canada, 417 in Australia and New Zealand, and 953 in Europe.
It is many young people’s dream to work at GameStop. But GameStop requires a certain age limit to recruit employees in their business. So what is the age requirement for you when you work for GameStop? Let’s find out.
GameStop Game Advisor
As a GameStop game advisor, you need to deal with customers. You will be required to speak with customers regularly. You need to ensure that every customer is taken care of. All your customers’ queries will come to you, and you will need to answer their questions.
Knowledge about different game titles and consoles is beneficial when you work in this position. To work for this position hourly, GameStop requires a minimum age of 18 years or older.
GameStop Senior Game Advisor
Senior Game Advisor’s duties are similar to those of Game Advisor. In addition, a Senior Game Advisor must support the shop management team with managing various retail activities.
In addition to that, Senior Game Advisor also needs to handle more difficult customers. They also help to fix problems that a regular game advisor may be unable to fix. A Senior Game Advisor helps with inventory, product selection, loss prevention, and more.
18-year-olds or older may be senior Game Advisors. This role is designated for promoted game consultants at GameStop. You must be 19-21 to acquire this hourly job.
Read: Does GameStop Buy Games?
GameStop Assistant Manager
Assistant manager’s responsibilities are fewer than store managers. As this is directly below a shop manager, the duties are comparable.
In this role, you must also oversee up to five staff while dealing with clients, product selection, purchases, and returns. This hourly role requires planning and delegation.
For this position, retail experience is a plus. Usually, GameStop promotes from within. This job typically requires 20 to 22 years old.
How Much Does GameStop Pay?
The minimum wage depends on individual state law. However, here are some general ideas of hourly pay for each position.
GameStop Hourly Payment for Game Advisor
You will earn between $6 and $12 per hour as a game advisor. The low-end is more common for a beginner with no experience, but the pay might be a little higher for those with experience at other companies.
If you consider an average hourly pay for this position, it is $8 per hour.
GameStop Hourly Payment for Senior Game Advisor
A senior game advisor has more responsibilities. You can expect to make anywhere between $7 to $13 per hour in this position. The average hourly pay for this position is $9 per hour.
GameStop Assistant Manager
An assistant store manager deals with many of the store’s issues, and thus the pay in this position is higher compared to other positions mentioned above.
The payment range is somewhere between $9 to $17 per hour, and the average pay for most assistant store managers is $12 per hour.
GameStop Job Requirements
GameStop maintains a certain standard for recruitment. The following requirements are compulsory to work at GameStop as an employee:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years
- An applicant should have a fun and enthusiastic personality
- An applicant should have a desire to interact with customers
- An applicant has to have incredible customer service skills
- An applicant should have a good knowledge of the video game industry
Apart from the above requirements, additional requirements, like assistant store leader, need to be fulfilled depending on the role. For example, for an assistant store leader, prior retail experience is required.
In addition to that, management experience will be mandatory for all store manager and assistant manager roles.
Educational Requirements of GameStop
The following educational requirements must be met to work in different roles in GameStop positions. This is an overall idea of the educational requirements; different roles require different qualifications from the below list.
- A High school diploma
- An Associate’s degree
- A Bachelor’s degree
Benefits Offered by GameStop for Their Employee
To qualify for the benefit plan of GameStop, you must work full-time in the company. The benefits of GameStop are highlighted below for you to have a look at:
- Employees get a 15% employee discount on games and merchandise.
- In addition, employees are offered health and life insurance options from several providers.
- Employees can also have vacation and paid time off (PTO), including 10 days of vacation, seven sick days, and three personal days.
- Employees can have another five days of vacation every year after every five years of employment.
GameStop Application Process
If you want to know the application process for a position at GameStop, here is the step-by-step application procedure to get a job at GameStop.
- First, visit the GameStop careers website.
- Then, fill in your desired job title and location.
- Find available jobs under GameStop job listings.
- Choose the position you want to apply for, either store management team, game advisors, senior game advisors, or other retail sales opportunities.
- Using the required form, apply for the position.
- Last but not least, follow up with the store manager or assistant manager in the store.
FAQ About GameStop Employment
Does GameStop hire 16-year-olds?
No. An applicant must be at least 18 years of age to work at GameStop.
Does GameStop drug test?
Yes, GameStop does conduct drug tests.
Who are GameStop’s game advisors?
In GameStop, customers seek knowledge about the electronic gaming business, including popular games and platforms. A GameStop game advisor’s responsibility is to provide great and efficient customer service to all store consumers.
What are some common interview questions asked at GameStop interviews?
Some common interview questions asked during interviews in GameStop are:
- Sell me your favorite game.
- What’s your current availability?
- What are the reasons you want to work at GameStop?
- Why do you enjoy playing video games?
- How would you sell one of your favorite gaming consoles?
- What video games do you like?
- How to upsell at the cash register?
- What game console are you familiar with?
What should you wear in a GameStop interview?
In an interview in GameStop, the recommended dress code is a basic tie, shirt, slacks, and clean dress shoes.
- GameStop might seem like it is just all about selling games, consoles, and other gaming accessories, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.
- From working in different departments to taking advantage of GameStop’s unique corporate environment, there are plenty of reasons to work at GameStop beyond the obvious opportunity to get discounted video games and trade-in credits.
- We have covered everything you need to know about working at GameStop. This answers the question regarding whether GameStop hires at 16. Why wait? Make that dream come true!