Propane tanks are used for a variety of reasons, from home heating, fireplaces, and grills.
You’ll likely find yourself needing to replace your propane tanks quite often, and with a Home Depot on every corner, many wonder whether you can get your propane refilled at Home Depot.
Does Home Depot Refill Propane Tanks?
No, you can no longer refill your propane tanks at Home Depot as of 2022. However, Home Depot still goes on selling new propane tanks! Home Depot also has an ‘Exchange Program’ in place for propane tanks.
Let’s find out what alternatives Home Depot offers and where else you can fill your propane tanks! Check out how you can still get a full propane tank at Home Depot and why that might not be such a bad idea. And from other options to refill it.
There are many home improvement and convenience products available at Home Depot. The company helps you keep your projects on track to save time and money.
But in 2022, their services are ineffective in propane tank refills! Here’s what you need to know about refilling propane tanks and why Home Depot made it a decision!
Why Doesn’t Home Depot Fill Propane Tanks Anymore?
A primary concern with propane tanks is that not enough is known about their durability and long-term effects. Due to the high price of fuel and after the pandemic crisis, Home Depot no longer refills propane tanks.
In addition, there have been several accidents where people have exploded their propane tanks because they didn’t correctly fill or store them.
Some Home Depot customers were unhappy with this decision. Home Depot authority said propane is hazardous, so refilling them isn’t worth it. It’s safer to buy new tanks, they said.
It could be their new strategy as well! You still have a few options when it comes time to refill your propane tank.
Read: Will Home Depot Sell Display Models?
Does Home Depot Allow Customers to Purchase New, Full Propane Tanks?
One of the perks of shopping at Home Depot is that they have a variety of propane tanks. Are customers allowed to buy new propane tanks? Are they allowed to buy full ones? The answer is yes, but there are some restrictions.
Customers at Home Depot can buy up to 20 pounds of propane tanks. The company also says tanks more than 20 pounds must be delivered in sections and weighed at delivery. Last, Home Depot warns against buying refillable propane tanks online or from other unauthorized sources.
You can get a new propane tank for $20.97 with an exchange or $50.97 without exchange at Home Depot.
Can You Return A Propane Tank To Home Depot If It Is Empty?
Like most homeowners, you use your home depot to refill your propane tanks. The Propane Exchange Program at Home Depot allows you to exchange your propane tank when it runs out. Follow these instructions to exchange your empty tank for a new one at these centers for a lower cost than buying a new one:
- Make an appointment with the store manager. Explain that you need to exchange a tank.
- Keep your propane tank outside the store before entering (never bring propane inside a store)
- Find a cashier to exchange your propane tank and let them know you’d like to do so.
- Bring your old tank and receipt to the appointment. The manager will check the tank’s capacity and verify that it is still within Home Depot’s return policy guidelines.
- You will also be required to sign a release form that allows Home Depot to reuse or recycle the tank.
- The manager will provide you with a new tank and receipt. You are responsible for returning the old tank and any remaining gas to Home Depot.
- Your receipt should contain a 6-digit code supplied by the cashier
- Take your receipt to the kiosk outside Home Depot next to the propane vending cages
- Open the propane tank cage by entering your 6-digit code on the kiosk
- Close the cage door after replacing the new tank with the old propane tank
- Remember, as an alternative to exchanging propane tanks, you can buy a spare one too.
Read: How Much Does Home Depot Charge for Toilet Installation?
The Pros Of A Propane Tank Exchange
A propane tank exchange can reduce the waste created by your home improvement project by using old tanks instead of new ones. This saves you money in the long run since you won’t have to buy or refill new tanks.
Reduced Environmental Impact
Refilling your propane tanks with new gas can create harmful emissions that damage our environment. By using old tanks, you’re reducing this impact.
A propane tank exchange can speed up installation time by using pre-existing tanks instead of purchasing new ones. This can save you both time and money.
When installing a new system, there’s always a bit of stress involved. You can try an existing system that you can simply swap out for another.
Does Home Depot charge money to exchange propane tanks?
It’s cheaper to buy more propane tanks at Home Depot than to refill your propane tank since a full propane tank costs about half as much as an empty one.
If you bought an Amerigas propane tank without an exchange, it would cost $50.97, but $20.97 if you exchanged it (prices may vary depending on propane prices). However, you can only exchange items once per order at Home Depot.
Does Home Depot Offer An Alternative To Propane Exchange?
Along with propane purchases and exchanges, Home Depot sells empty propane tanks in various sizes and accessories like LP gas tank level gauges.
Home Depot offers sizes from 20lbs to 100lbs. You can buy these propane tanks and fill them up at propane filling stations across the country.
Alternatives to Refilling at Home Depot
If you’re looking for an alternative to refilling your propane tanks at home, check out these eight places that offer propane refill services.
- One alternative is to refill propane tanks at a local gas station. This option can be more expensive than refilling at home depot, but it can also be more convenient if you have a car with a propane tank filler cap.
- Another option is to refill propane tanks using a portable propane tank refilling unit. These units are typically smaller and easier to carry than traditional propane tanks and often have larger fuel capacities.
- Local propane retail stores usually have smaller tanks that can refill in minutes. Just be sure to ask about refill prices before filling your tank up.
- Camping supply stores carry a variety of camping supplies, including propane tanks and refills. Be sure to ask about refill prices before making a purchase.
- Several online retailers sell propane refills, including Amazon and Walmart. Just read the product reviews first to ensure you get a quality refill kit.
Read: Does Home Depot Carry Sherwin Williams Paint?
In 2022, you can not refill the propane tank at Home Depot. With this service, you can now exchange an empty propane tank for a full one at a discount of over half.
If you are considering getting this exchange offer, remember that this program uses only Amerigas propane.
Customers are prohibited from bringing an empty or full propane tank into Home Depot. So it is essential to follow the instructions properly as well and follow. Thanks for reading! Check out our other articles if you want more facts about Home Depot.
Leave a Reply