Military discounts are discounts offered by retailers to active and former military personnel, veterans, families of the Armed Forces, and first-responders.
Military discounts are offered to show respect for and gratitude toward members of the armed forces for their commitment to country.
Discounts can take the form of deals, “freebies”, discounts, and concessions. Does Sam’s Club offer these military discounts as well?
Does Sam’s Club Give Military Discount?
Sam’s Club does offer military discounts. They offer a variety of military discounts for active, retired, and military spouses at their stores. New members get $45 off their first purchase of $45 or greater. This is just one of the perks they offer for their military members.
This article takes a look at Sam’s Club Military discounts: what they are, how they work, when they began, and how to access them.
When Did Sam’s Club Start Giving Military Discount?
Sam’s Club has been historically associated with offering a variety of regular military discounts to servicepeople. Online, there are many references to Sam’s club military offerings as far back as 2009.
The nature and format of Military discounts has changed over the decades. From simple printed vouchers and seasonal gifts to regular electronically applied discounts, Sam’s Club has consistently maintained a commitment to military personal.
What Is The Military Discount On Sam’s Club Membership?
Sam’s Club state that they salute the men and women of the military with an ongoing membership offer. This means that qualified military who renew their Sam’s Club membership in-club will receive a $10 gift voucher for their first purchase of $10 (made in the first 60 days).
New Military members will receive $45 off their first purchase of $45 or more – effectively an entire Club membership fee.
This offer is valid for active and retired military, veterans, and their spouses, and military membership covers:
- Active military personnel
- Retired military personnel and veterans
- Civilian military employee
- Military spouses
Things to be aware of include:
- Proof of valid U.S. military service identification is required
- Membership cards are non-transferable and are valid at all Sam’s Club locations worldwide.
- Memberships are valid for one year from date of issue
- Offer must be redeemed in one single transaction on a register in club within 60 days of creating membership to receive $10 offer.
- The offer is not eligible with Scan & Go, Curbside Pickup or ship-to-home online orders
- Certain items do not qualify such as milk, alcohol, gift cards, tobacco products, fuel, pharmacy products, gift cards, memberships, and shipping costs.
- Instant Savings will be visible at the bottom of your receipt after you’ve redeemed the offer.
- Note also that the Sam’s Club military discount cannot be used online.
- All offers have an expiry date
How Do You Renew Sam’s Club Membership Online And Get Military Discount?
You can renew your Sam’s Club membership with military discount either instore or online. Either way, you will have to have your military identification verified.
If you’re instore, ask someone at the membership desk in person to verify your military membership. You’ll have to provide your military identification card, veteran identification card, or other proof of military service.
Sam’s Club uses ID.me to verify military status. With ID.me, you can verify your group status, and gain access to amazing group discounts from hundreds of the most popular brands. In this case your group is Military.
When costumers want to purchase a regular Sam’s Club membership, they go to the Sam’s Club Membership page. To sign up for a military membership however, you need to be verified first, and you do this by making an account on ID.me.
First, you’ll have to:
- Chose the group that best describes you (a renewing or new Sam’s Club member)
- Log in (or create a new account) with ID.me
- If you’re creating a new account, you’ll need an active email address, a password, and you’ll have to accept terms & conditions.
- Indicate if you want to subscribe for regular ID.me offer and discounts
- Look for My IDs and select Manage IDs
- Look for the “Military” card and select Add.
- Select the Add button on the screen below for the group you are affiliated with, then provide the information requested to verify your affiliation.
- Complete the process
- Allow at least 48 hours before using your new membership
What Is ID.me?
ID.me is an American online identity network company. It allows citizens to prove their legal identity online rather than having to present themselves and their documents in person. ID.me members can use the verification to access government services, healthcare logins, and discounts from arrange of retail brands such as Sam’s Club.
ID.me claim that their identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication, and they have a useful online help center for users.
How Much Does A Sam’s Club Membership Cost After Military Discount?
Sam’s Club membership costs remain basically the same regardless of military discount. This is because the discount is in the form of cash back ($45) once you’ve bought the membership and made your first purchase (of $45 or more).
A Sam’s Club Plus membership costs $100 per year, and a Club membership costs $45 per year. Therefore, the Military “discount” is equal to the cost of a full year Club membership.
Do You Need To Show Proof of Service For Military Discount?
In order to receive the Sam’s Club Military rewards you need to show valid United States military identification. The following documents are considered acceptable forms of proof of United Status military service:
- Active military ID, issued by the Department of Defense
- Retired military ID, issued by the Department of Defense
- Copy of DD-214, along with valid photo ID
- Veterans Identification Card (VIC)
- Membership card from military service organization (i.e. American Legion, VFW, DAV), along with valid photo ID
- Common Access Card (CAC)
- sub 6 Veterans Administration (VA) medical benefits card
Large businesses often show discounts specific consumers, such as the elderly, to children, and to military personal, knowing that providing discounts to deserving groups can offer multiple benefits to businesses as well.
Sam’s Club have long believed in honoring service personnel, and they currently offer a military membership renewal reward ($10 gift certificate) and a $45 cashback for new military memberships.