With over 380 million users globally, Apple Pay is among the most popular payment methods. On the other hand, Target has over 1900 locations and 368,000 employees. The American retailer is famous for its affordable groceries, clothing, electronics, and furniture, among several other things. Having said that, it only makes sense that shoppers would want to pay via Apple Pay while at Target.
This begs the question, does Target take Apple Pay? Keep reading to discover answers to this question and learn how to use the payment method.
Does Target Take Apple Pay?
Yes, Target does take Apple Pay both through their app and inside their stores. So, next time you are shopping at Target, you can always check out with Apple Pay. Be on the lookout for the RIFD symbol on the checkout reader, which shows that contactless payments are accepted.
To learn more about Target and their payment methods, keep reading..
How Do I Use Apple Pay at Target?
The first step of checking out at Target using Apple Pay is setting up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch or iPhone. Follow the setup instructions below:
- Go to the “Settings” section, and click on “Wallet & Apple Pay.”
- Select “ Add Card” and press continue to select your preferred payment method
- Add your debit card or credit card details either manually or by holding your iPhone over your credit card until it reads the numbers on it.
- Agree to Apple’s terms and complete any necessary credit card verification steps
- You can now use Apple Pay as your card is now in your Apple Wallet App.
Setting up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch will require you to use your linked iPhone.
- Open the “Apple Watch” app using your linked iPhone
- Click on “Wallet & Apple Pay.”
- Tap on “Add Card” and stick to the instructions to add your credit card to your Apple Watch’s Apple Pay
To check out at Target with Apple Pay:
- Double-tap the right-side button on your dial
- Enter your passcode
- Hold the Apple Watch over the contactless payment reader and wait till the payment is complete
How To Use Apple Pay On Target On iPhone
To check out with Apple Pay using your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Double-click on the right-side button of your iPhone
- Enter your passcode or verify your fingerprint
- Hold your iPhone over the contactless point of sale reader. This is the machine you’d typically insert your credit card into.
- Keep holding your iPhone until you can hear a ping, sight a green checkmark on the payment reader, or a checkmark with the word “Done” on the screen of your iPhone.
- You can exit the register after receiving a confirmation that the payment was successful
Where Is Apple Pay Accepted?
As of 2022, Apple Pay works at over 2.5 million retail stores across the United States (85% of all U.S merchants). Some retailers that accept Apple Pay include:
- Retail Stores: CVS Pharmacy, Petco, Staples, Walgreens, Big Lots, Best Buy, Apple, Office Depot, and Office Max.
- Grocery Stores: Costco, Albertsons, Aldi, Food Lion, Whole Foods, Lucky Supermarkets, Food Lion, Sprouts, and Giant Eagle.
- Restaurants: Chipotle, Firehouse Subs, Johnny Rockets, White Castle, Pizza Hut, Johnny Rockets, Popeye’s, Baskin Robbins, and Taco Bell, among others.
- Gas Stations: Texaco, Chevron, Texaco, Raceway, Wawa, and Cumberland Farms, among several others.
You May Also Be Interested In: Does Target Price Match?
What Apps Can You Use Apple Pay On:
Here is a list of the apps and websites that accept Apple Pay:
- Dunkin’ Donuts
Why Does Target Accept Apple Pay?
There are many reasons Target has embraced the Apple Pay payment method. For starters, it is far safer than using prepaid, debit, or credit cards. This is because it requires a Touch ID, Face ID, or passcode before making any purchases. Besides, Apple Pay is fast, requires no internet access, and by using it, you do not incur any extra fees.
Where Can’t I Use Apple Pay?
Unfortunately, while Apple Pay is the simplest way for shoppers to make their payments, some stores still do not accept this payment method. 15% of America’s retail stores do not take this form of payment.
Here is a list of some of the retail chains that do not accept Apple Pay
- Sam’s Club
- Guitar Center
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Home Depot
How Do You Check If A Store Takes Apple Pay?
It can be pretty challenging to know if a store accepts Apple Pay. You could always enquire from the cashier or conduct an online search, but either way, it’s still a daunting task. The good news? Apple has made it easier to check the stores that take Apple Pay.
All you have to do is open the Apple Maps app on your iPhone. After that, search for the store’s location and navigate to the “Useful to Know” section just below the store’s website address. If you spot the Apple Pay logo or a checkmark close to “Accepts Apple Pay,” you can easily tell that the store takes Apple Pay.
What Payment Forms Does Target Take?
If you shop at Target, you can use any of the following payment methods during checkout:
- Visa cards
- Costco Citi credit card
- American Express cards
- Discover cards
- Target Red Cards
- ATM cards
- Target gift cards
- Traveler’s checks
- SNAP EBT cards
Apple Pay aside, shoppers can pay with Android phones using Samsung Pay digital wallets or Google Pay. Also, Target Red Card holders will receive a 5 percent discount on every purchase they make at Target.
How Do You Check Out With Apple Pay via the Target App?
If you are using the Target app, it is your lucky day as it accepts online purchase payments using Apple Pay. Follow these steps to check out in the app:
- Open the Target app. If you do not have it, you can download it on App Store.
- Sign in to your account, create an account or click on “Continue as guest.” If you opt for “Continue as guest,” you will have to sign in to your account before checkout.
- Select your Target location
- The app will inform you if you can access non-contact shopping in your locality
- Choose the items you wish to purchase and pick your preferred mode of receiving them
- Tap on your shopping cart
- Tap on the black “Apple Pay” button on your screen’s bottom right
- Follow the Apple Pay prompts and enjoy your order
For the convenience of millions of their users, Target accepts Apple Pay at its many retail outlets.
Other payment methods that this retail giant takes include Visa, MasterCard, and SNAP EBT cards, among others. If you are shopping at Target or using Apple Pay for the first time, there is no need to worry.
Checking out with Apple Pay while shopping is relatively straightforward. If you encounter any difficulties, the experienced team at Target will be more than happy to help.