When browsing through Amazon’s huge catalog of items, one of the things that you need to bear in mind is that not every single product on the site is new, or in the case of a few items, in its original package.
So if you find yourself confused when you read “item will come repackaged” or something along those lines, then keep reading so you know what that means and every situation related to this…
What Does Repackaged Mean On Amazon?
Repackaged on Amazon typically means it’s not in the original box. It does not necessarily mean used, but it can be. The item is normally considered ‘Like New’ when repackaged.
Want to learn more about Amazon and repackaging? Keep reading…
Repackaging On Amazon
When you purchase a product on Amazon, sometimes you may find that the condition description of the item, specifies that there is some damage to the packaging or that it’s not in the original packaging.
That is where the whole “repackaged” thing comes into play. In order to not just throw away the item or leave it without its respective packaging, Amazon sells repackaged items, a bit less expensive of course.
Remember that little thing that says “Used-Like New”? that is the one you should be looking for, because a lot of the time, the item itself is in great condition, but the package is what was damaged, that is why repackaging is a good idea unless you want the “New” experience with your purchase.
It’s a very simple thing, but knowing exactly what it means can clear the fog from your mind as a loyal customer of Amazon, however, there may be a bit more information than you would probably like to have with you so let’s keep going and find out a bit more about repackaging and how to deal with it.
What are Amazon Warehouse Deals?
These deals offer discounts on items that were either returned, slightly damaged, used, or refurbished. Of course, each of these items is in good condition while also offering a better price for them.
One of the most important things, however, is to check the conditions of these items, since you are no longer trusting the fact that it’s a new product, and there are a lot of possible issues, damages, or malfunctions that could make your purchase not worth it.
There are 5 listing conditions for used items on Amazon:
- Renewed: This is the best deal you can get, as these items are reviewed and checked by Amazon so that they meet the same standards of a new product, or at least as close as possible. It also includes “Amazon Renewed Guarantee” which offers a replacement or a refund within 90 days, if the item doesn’t actually meet the standards that were promised.
- Used – Like New: These items are very close to a new item due to their perfect conditions, however, they may still have some issues that prevent them from being classified as “new” such as repackaging or little scratches.
- Used – Very Good: These items work very well but have cosmetic damage and other little alterations.
- Used – Good: When the item has a good amount of damages or missing accessories but still works perfectly, it will be classified as “good”.
- Used – Acceptable: This is the last listing condition, and it is just that, “acceptable” which means that the item has a lot of problems that make it obvious that it was either used or damaged, but still serves its purpose.
What Does “Open Box” Mean on Amazon?
This often means that an item was shipped to a person but for some reason was unable to reach its destination and was labeled undeliverable by the carrier in charge of the package.
After this happens the product is usually checked by the Amazon staff, which involves opening the packaging to verify that the item is ok, however, if the packaging cannot be salvaged they will repackage it.
There is another definition of “open box” for Amazon which involves third-party sellers.
This term is often used by people that are looking to sell a video game, a movie, or computer software that for some reason doesn’t come with the original case, wrapping, or box, so instead the used product is “open box” even if the disc with a replacement package.
A repackaged item or any kind of Amazon Warehouse Deals can be a great option if you are on a budget or if you want to purchase something out of curiosity and don’t really want to spend more than you need to.
If you choose to buy a product that was repackaged or was “out of the box” then check for the conditions of the item and double-check before you buy, because most of these are used items that may have “hidden issues” so keep these things in mind, especially if you are dealing with a third-party seller, since quality guarantee will be more present with products sold directly by Amazon.