Let’s say you make a purchase on Amazon and then you realize you got the wrong item, do you have to keep it and lose your money? of course not.
If you want to refuse the delivery you ordered, you can, Amazon allows any customer to refuse the delivery, still, there are some things that you should know before rejecting an amazon delivery.
Also, keep in mind that there is a difference between canceling an order and refusing an Amazon delivery, both work in different contexts and require a different procedure, so clearing that out will be a part of this guide.
So you received a package that you didn’t ask for, or you received your delivery in unacceptable conditions, what do you do?
How To Refuse An Amazon Package?
If you didn’t have a chance to cancel the order before it was shipped or you weren’t even involved in the purchase and wish to reject it, you simply have to tell the person at your doorstep that you don’t want the package, that way it will be shipped back to Amazon and the buyer will get a full refund.
It’s very easy but if it is in your control to cancel the order before being sent it will prevent unnecessary extra work for both parties.
Remember to not open the package as this could count as accepting it in some situations.
So there is your answer, if you don’t want it you don’t have to take it, it’s as simple as that, but how about canceling before having to refuse the package at your doorstep, and what exactly does “refused by the receiver” means?
Keep reading so that you’re better prepared if you find yourself in a similar situation…
What Does Refused by Receiver Mean?
It means that the person receiving a package refused it and must be sent back to Amazon by the carrier. If the receiver didn’t know anything about the delivery and did not expect any packages, then that is enough reason to refuse it.
This will get the package flagged and sent back to the seller, or in some cases to the courier’s depot, in case there are still some things that need to be clarified.
Do You Get Your Money Back If You Refuse Delivery?
Yes, you’ll get your money back, if you provide a valid reason for rejecting the order, the item will be sent back to Amazon and you will get a refund.
This may be subject to change when dealing with third-party sellers, but usually, you’ll get your money back without too many obstacles.
How Do You Cancel An Order?
First of all, if you decide to refuse an amazon delivery, you have to check the status of your order, since the process changes slightly depending on the stage of the delivery.
What To Do If Your Order Hasn’t Shipped?
If you wish to cancel your order and it hasn’t shipped yet, then that is the easiest way to cancel the order.
- First, go to “Your Orders” and choose the item you want to cancel, and click “Cancel items”.
- Then, you can give some reasons as to why you are canceling or rejecting the order
Click on Cancel Checked Items.
After you follow these steps your order will be canceled and you’ll get a refund as quickly as possible.
What To Do if The Order Has Already Shipped?
If the status of your order shows you that it has already been dispatched, you may still request a cancelation.
- You have to go to “Your Orders” and request cancelation.
- After that, the item will be returned to Amazon for a full refund if you already made the payment for the product.
What Is An Undeliverable Package?
While this is mostly a decision taken by the carrier or Amazon itself, it’s still a part of the shipping process, and if they don’t do their part following the rules, knowing them will save you a lot of trouble.
Sometimes a package can be marked as undeliverable for several reasons according to Amazon, which lead to the carriers returning it:
- The address that was written is not valid. Before it is returned to Amazon, the package is stored for a period of time that can change depending on the carrier in charge. Remember to double-check the address when you place your order.
- Amazon doesn’t recognize the way an address was entered, or the carrier cannot deliver the package to that address.
- You chose a restricted address, for example, a correctional facility, correctional facility, or other similar addresses, there may be some restrictions that make the package undeliverable.
- The carrier couldn’t deliver the package after one or two attempts. If this happens they will deliver the package back to Amazon and flagged as undeliverable.
- The person that received the package, refused the delivery, which can happen when a gift recipient declines the item or if it was delivered by mistake. After this happens, the package will be returned to Amazon and the buyer will get a full refund. The advice is that they notify the person receiving the package or someone close to them so that there are no misunderstandings with the surprise.
- The package was damaged so it is immediately flagged as undeliverable
Want to learn more about Amazon? Check out these related articles to learn what to do if your Amazon package is delivered to the wrong house, Amazon not yet shipped for days, and find out if Amazon Fresh is included in Prime.
There are a few situations that can make you want to reject an amazon package, whether you were the one who purchased the item or not, regardless of how the transaction was made. Amazon is prepared when it comes to these situations, which don’t happen very often but, can lead to some confusion.
In any case remember that you can always cancel or reject an amazon order at any stage, just keep in mind that it’s better if you decide to cancel before they are at your doorstep, otherwise it’s more work for both the seller and the buyer.
If you get a surprise package, then there is no way to react before it gets to you, so if this happens, you know what to do.