As an experienced customer, you make sure you don’t make any mistakes and add to your cart that item you’ve had in your sights for a while, save enough money to buy, have it delivered, and then find out you got the wrong item.
This can be very disappointing and confusing, but don’t worry, this has happened before and if you keep reading you’ll know exactly what to do in this scenario…
What If Amazon Delivered The Wrong Item
If you have received the wrong item from Amazon, the first thing to do is contact Amazon customer support and let them know of the mistake. They will either send you a replacement or refund your order. They may or may not ask you to return the item they sent by mistake.
Since Amazon ships millions of products, they do encounter some logistical errors every once in a while. It’s like one of two things happened:
You received someone else’s package. You need to check whether or not it was someone else’s package, since both packages might have been switched at some point. If this is the case you just notify Amazon, return the package and wait for yours.
Amazon sent you an item you didn’t order instead of your own. It’s not the same as getting the wrong size of shoe as getting a watch instead of an iPhone, so there is a solution for every situation.
You’ll always have the option to ask for a refund and be done with it, from there you can choose to make your purchase from Amazon again or check out some alternatives.
If you want to know more about the specifics such as getting replacements, then keep reading…
Getting A Replacement For The Wrong Item
Keep in mind that any product that was shipped by Amazon.com but sold by a third-party seller cannot be replaced but it can be returned so that you can get a refund for it.
Also, you can’t exchange an item if you received it as a gift, instead, you would have to return it and then place a new order.
If you want to exchange a product, just go to “My Orders” and if the product you want to return was not purchased with a promotion (except for free shipping promotions), is not subject to a restocking fee, was purchased with a credit or debit card, and the Exchange product meets the eligibility requirements listed below then you will be able to make the exchange.
What Are The Eligibility Requirements?
- The item has to be added to the cart
- It has to be sold and shipped by Amazon (no third party included).
- Add on products are not included
- The item that will be exchanged has to be different than the one you want
- It cannot be marked as a gift, otherwise, it won’t be eligible.
If the exchange is for clothing or shoes that weren’t the right size then it’s even easier to get a replacement, these are the requirements:
- Have a different size or color than the returned product.
- Be sold and shipped by Amazon.
These changes are available for clothing, sporting goods, footwear, baby products, jewelry, and watches that come in different sizes or colors.
Read Next: How to Find Out Who Sent You an Amazon Package
How Do I Get A Replacement?
- On the Amazon page, you have to go to “My Orders” and select “Return or replace products” right next to the item that you wish to exchange.
- If you don’t see the order you are looking for, select the date you placed the order from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- Lastly, select the item you want to exchange and write a reason for the request in the “Reason for return” section. That way an exchange order will be made with the same shipping type that was used on the original order. You will have up to 30 days to return the product, otherwise, you will be charged for both the original order and the replacement.
What If The Item I Want Is No Longer Available?
If you can’t get the item that you initially purchased, then you can get a refund, here are the steps you need to follow to request your money back:
- First, you have to go to “Your orders”.
- Find the order for the refund
- Select “Problem with the order”.
- Then choose your problem from the list.
- Request refund.
- Write any comments that you have.
- Click “Submit”.
Once you have requested the refund successfully, you’ll have your money back in full including shipping costs.
The rest is up to you, if you want to try again another time or just use your money someplace else, the good thing is that Amazon will not let your money go to waste.
Enjoyed this article? You may also like to learn what to do and what it means when Amazon delivers to a safe place, Amazon delivered a cancelled order or when Amazon delivers to the wrong address
If you get the wrong item delivered to you, the worst thing that can happen is that you will lose precious time, but not much more than that, since Amazon will make sure that you get what you asked for one way or another.
Even if the item you wanted is no longer available, you will immediately get a full refund after you request it.
Leave a Reply